Saturday, April 6, 2013

REVIEW: 2013 CARNIVAL RUN

2013 Carnival Run @Bedok Reservoir (5k Men)
Overall Mark: 85.6%
(HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
HELD: 23rd March

IN BRIEF: The Carnival run is one of those "Goldilocks" runs, not too big, not to small, seemingly just right. It offered up a 5k run with cash prizes for the first 20 place getters in both Men's and Women's categories.An unusual 5pm start time worked well with a cool breeze.It perhaps didn't have many of the fancy extras of the bigger races, but with a fantastic price tag the Carnival Run is punching well above its weight.

COST: $25 ($18 for Passion Card members). The race included a medallion (shown above) and a pretty decent race kit that included a shoe bag, running top, sweat towel and a host of other freebies and samples. Honestly, along with the 2011 RUN350 kit v price, this was one of the best. 10/10.

RACE TRACK: Starting at the Bedok Reservoir float, the race began along the gravel track and quickly moved onto the cement footpath.Basically we did one circuit of the Reservoir with a mini-back track to make the 5k distance. It was pretty flat and I was reasonably impressed with the layout. One massive U-turn (I hate U-turns) was probably the worst part (which isn't really that bad). A beautiful breeze blew in off the water, I think if I ran this course on my own I would enjoy it. I'm not sure if it was a closed course, I feel like it wasn't, but the layout was very easy to follow and race marshals were efficient in the few places they were needed. I am going to give it 7.5/10.

AND WE'RE RACING!: The race track was narrow and busy (like I said, I started toward the back) but there was enough room to pass if you had to, although sometimes you had to take to the grass to do so. The field thinned out quickly and the course opened up toward the end which meant passing was a breeze for the big sprint.Only 5k runners on track made it so that we are all racing each other (I like that). If you were toward the front you could have set a PB, I would have lost time (1 or 2 min) from where I started and I had to take to the grass to pass at the beginning. Not bad. 7.5/10.

PITSTOPS: Not too much you can do in a 5 k race. There was one water station at the 2.5k mark, I think they had Pokka Sports Water (think..) and water. It was all you needed and you couldn't have asked for any extras or an extra station in a 5k run. So, even though it was pretty simple - it was perfectly suited. So I am going to give it 8.5/10.  

ORGANISATION (PRE-RACE DAY): The pick-up was way out near Bedok MRT (but het, that's where the race is!) and it wasn't too hard to find although I wasn't 100% sure I was at the right place (PUT A SIGN ON THE STREET!). Place was empty when I arrived, took two seconds to collect. Can't complain! 9/10.

ORGANISATION (RACE-DAY): Had to take a bus to race from MRT. Not sure if there was a shuttle. Not a big issue for me.There were enough toilets for the runners although I don't think there was anywhere you could get a free drink (water or not) pre-race. Race started on time and baggage check was close and very organized. Pretty good, I'm taking a point off for the medallion in a plastic bag (Really. we are not princess runners, put it around our neck).No encouragement from marshals (but some from the people at the water station) isn't a huge issue, but you notice those things. I'm taking a half of for that too. 8.5/10.

TIMING: No time displayed at race (that I saw) but race results were up online very quick.You can see your time, the top 20 but no one elses. That's ok, but it's worth 7.5/10.

RACE KIT: Very solid. Shoe bag, towel, running singlet and a few freebies. For the price paid it was an awesome deal. 10/10.

SUMMARY: I feel like this was a no-frills race at a no-frills price that decided to add some frills in at the end. Hard to imagine too many complaints, just a good solid race and an awesome price.